Tuesday, October 13, 2009

This time tomorrow Chris and I will be on our way to Herakleon where, hopefully, I will be admitted to the University Hospital for the second heart procedure so this should be my last Blog for a few days. I say should and hopefully because there would appear to be a bit of an old mix-up. When Chris called the hospital yesterday in order to find out some details like, for example, how long it would take, the girl who answered the phone said, ‘Oh, fifteen minutes.’ Well that was definitely wrong for a start but it turns out she believed, presumably according to her records, I would be there only to have the pacemaker checked! A long way to go, 135 kilometres, for fifteen minutes. When Chris said, no, it was for repairing the hole in the heart she knew nothing about it. So maybe I will be there and back in the winking of an eye which is going to create problems as (a) Diane is coming from the UK today to look after house and animals and stay on for a while. I feel bad about asking her to act as nurse to poor incontinent old Sweeney but the alternative was to have the old girl put to sleep and we haven’t had the heart for that. (b) Chris has to go to the UK at the end of the month to do a job for the Beeb who want him to do a bit on George Leybourne for a TV programme called “Rude Britannia”. (c) Douglas’s treatment in England means he won’t be back until Christmas. If the hospital has made a boob we will have to try persuading them it is imperative we stick to the time-table or who knows when it can be done? Hopefully next time I write the hole will have been mended and all will be well. I can’t say I am looking forward to it but when I think of what Douglas will be going through with chemo and radiotherapy for six weeks, he’s going to feel like hell no doubt, I gird m’ loins and put a brave face on things. It will be the same as the angiogram which will probably result in nothing more than a bruise the size of a dinner plate in the groin area and back-ache from having to lie still for six hours or more. That is the really boring bit.

No comments: