Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I received the following e-mail from my sister and I am sure, reviving more memories for me as it does, she won’t mind my using it as today’s Blog; adding to the list full Christmas dinners eaten in the heat of midsummer, junior birthday parties, adolescent parties, teenage parties, dances; boys in their tuxedos, girls in their best dresses, milk bars and juke boxes, pinball machines, holidays on guest farms and with relations, visits to the homes of school friends down the south coast.

“Reading your latest Blog, 28th April, you brought back many memories for me of the good times of our young days and I really think we had the best years compared to life for the young ones these days. Even travel was a much better experience with a three week cruise to get to the UK and knowing the stay would be a long one, the cabin trunk was packed to the full. Touring Europe was by car with a passport with visas on many pages to pass through the borders to each little country. Exchange money to the local currency and buy souvenirs not made in China and experience the true nationality of French, Italian, Austrian etc. etc.

A roast at lunch time on Sundays and then crumpets or scones with tea in the afternoon, often made by yourself. The camping at Inyoni rocks with those heavy bell army tents, one for the ladies and one for the men. The kids confined to sleeping in the cars.
The old primus stove pumped up to boil the water for tea and so on.

I remember your St. John's competition between teams from different districts and your team lost points because you missed seeing the gas masks hanging in front of the building prop you were to enter to rescue people from. I think what was supposed to have been a fire. We were trying to prompt you from the audience.

I remember crying that you had died when you played a part in the Glenwood High school play, title I think "The Devils Eye". Remember
that you had actually been pierced in the University play when you played Hotspur and concerned that you would be stabbed to death.

Your Blog Monday 26th - Don’t forget the song "Perfect Day" too. This I think Mom and Dad sang as a duet. Dad would place one hand on the piano to help him steady his shaking legs when he sang. Such nerves he had about singing for an audience and yet such a lovely voice. The piano shook and one could feel the vibration on the floor.”

Thanks, Ceri, and I’m sure there’s such a lot we’ve left out.







__________

No comments: