Tuesday, June 30, 2009

According to the Old Testament you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven if your testacies have been crushed! (Deuteronomy 23-1). You have to admit the Bible sure comes up with some pretty weird stuff, so weird I cannot but wonder how people can still be hooked on it as being the word of god. If it is he certainly wrote some pretty strange stuff. Maybe whichever scribe it was taking the dictation got it down wrong. The Athens News every week carries adverts for Bible study groups and I think out of curiosity one of these days I might just go along to one and find out what “study” entails. When god ordered Noah to take all the beasties aboard the ark he should have shown a sense of compassion and said “hold the mosquitoes”. Those little monsters are in full force at the moment. Is there anywhere in the world that is without mosquitoes? You spread repellent on your exposed bits and pieces: arms, legs, head, and then the moment you go to the loo and drop your trousers, they zoom in to the attack. They wait in ambush and you don’t see them. They hide behind the pedestal I think. Consequently I have enormous bites on the inside of my thigh, the outside, the groin and even the crack of my arse. I really hate mosquitoes! What is most annoying is when bites continue to itch on and off days after happening.
At the moment and since yesterday evening I am wired up like Frankenstein’s monster as my heart is being monitored for 24 hours. Sometime later today I have to go for a good walk to find out what happens when I exercise. I know what will happen on the surface, I will be out of breath before I reach the gate. I managed to sleep fairly well half sitting up but I’ll be pleased to get unwired. Yesterday was a day of doctor’s and clinic’s waiting rooms and I hope this bad patch will be over soon because it does get a bit boring and I am just extremely lucky to have two people who care enough to take it all in hand, (as it were!) and ease the way. And that is quite enough of my troubles.
Between the x-ray and the cardiologist we stopped off to have a bite to eat at a close-by restaurant, sitting outside. Only one other table was occupied, by a woman and seven kids. It was evidently a birthday party and they were thoroughly and loudly enjoying their chips and tomato sauce washed down with coke. At some point the woman, who we presumed to be mother to one of the kid’s, upped and left them to it and a little later a middle-aged man approached their table with a “Hello kids!” and after a while sat himself down. I said to Douglas he was either a proselytising Pentecostalist or a paedophile which wouldn’t have surprised me, the paedophile bit I mean, as the kids were without exception very beautiful. Fortunately he couldn’t do much damage except put something of a damper on the party which he obviously did as the whole mood changed – exuberant to somewhat subdued. People are weird.

1 comment:

Brighton John said...

Hi,
testacies sound interesting. Bible study groups are almost always Jehova's Witnesses of the Church of God (i.e. the "Plain Truth" people). They want to tell you THEIR version of the book. You won't get far with your questions!
I have for years now said, get rid of the mosquitos, the sharks, the crocodiles. The world would be none the poorer without them. It has got by pretty well without Tyrannosaurus Rex and the Diplodocus, let alone the cute Pterodactyl (companions of witsches?).
Use hydrangeas to keep the mossies at bay. To stop the itch apply vinegar, wait a few minutes before washing off.