Thursday, June 4, 2009

So this week sees the elections for a new European parliament and evidently the big worry is the turnout. Last time it was 47%. This time the question being asked is will it even reach that? Considering what has been happening in the UK recently and what people know about MEPs it’s a wonder anyone bothers to vote at all – why put your cross next to the name of someone who is going to turn out to be a crooked, thieving, cheating, greedy, corrupt hog? None of this applies to us as living in Greece we don’t have the vote in anything other than local elections but it will be most interesting to see how the Labour party does in the UK considering Tony Blair and Gordon Brown and all their cronies have virtually brought the country to its knees, or so it would appear. Will the Brits continue to vote for them? People have very short memories and can also be very stupid.
So the great Britain Has Talent contest is over and the favourite was knocked into second place which must have had the bookies rushing in glee to their respective banks as there were evidently some pretty hefty bets on her winning. She, poor lass, (last I heard) is in a clinic recovering from nervous exhaustion. Not surprising considering what a world wide phenomenon she turned out to be, and not the only one to suffer nerves. Poor little Holly breaking down and unable to finish her song and then not knowing whether she would get a second chance and howling her eyes out and all the while the audience making the most horrendous noise. I would have thought a civilised sympathetic hush would have been more the order of the day but no, there had to be a lot of hissing and groaning (meaning what?) and did I even hear some boos? Poor child.
As for Miss Boyle coming second, that didn’t surprise me. Her first appearance was so magical (I do believe were I to play it again now I would once more burst into tears and sob my heart out so I’m not going to put it to the test) causing that universal response that, from then on it just had to be downhill. Her rendering of “Memories” was not as good and her final not as good as her “Memories”. Nothing she did could touch that first moment of absolute magic.
I have no idea what the winners were like as I haven’t yet seen their act. I will no doubt catch up with it on YouTube. Talking of which, one does come across all sorts of weird and wonderful things on YouTube and some information one would rather not have. When I wrote the other day about the state Durban is in I could have added Johannesburg is even worse. It is no wonder my nephew Evan chose to take his family to Singapore rather than be transferred form the Cape to Johannesburg. I truly wonder if two showers Zuma can pull that country together. I do hope so but it will be a Herculean task to say the least.

No comments: